Metrolinx GO Expansion (Rail Electrification) Utility Relocation Project – Queen Street Scheduled Power Outage and Planned Construction
Update August 18, 2022
All power has been restored to customers in this area. No further outages are planned for Queen Street and Concession Street.
Update August 16, 2022
Work is progressing on schedule to replace 4 hydro poles on Queen Street as part of the Metrolinx GO Expansion. the outages listed below remain in effect.
To facilitate the electrification of the provincial Metrolinx GO Expansion program, Newmarket-Tay Power Distribution Ltd. (“NT Power”) must relocate an existing electricity distribution line including hydro poles across the railway tracks at Queen St. A contract has been awarded to K-Line Maintenance and Construction Ltd. (“K-Line”) to perform the work on NT Power’s behalf and construction is scheduled for August 8th – August 29th. To complete this work in a safe manner, it has been identified that three (3) power outages, six (6)-hours each in duration, are required for 164 customers residing in the Queen Street and Main Street South areas. Notices were hand delivered to all customers affected by this outage.
These power outages are scheduled to occur on the following dates/times:
- Tuesday August 16, 2022, from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm.
- Wednesday August 17, 2022, from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm.
- Thursday August 18, 2022, from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm.
In the event the scheduled work is not able to proceed as per the dates above, the alternate power outage date will be Monday August 22, 2022, from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm. NT Power will continue to post live updates on its website to enable our customers to track changes to the scheduled outages. Click here: Newmarket Outage Dashboard (arcgis.com)
Power Outage checklist!
- Keep refrigerator & freezer doors closed to keep food cold longer
- Add blocks of ice, gel packs or frozen containers of water to your refrigerator and freezer to help food last longer
- Use non-perishable foods last
- Prepare a cooler with ice or gel packs for frequently used items, i.e. milk, water, eggs, etc.
- Never use gasoline, propane or charcoal burning devices inside closed spaces
- Turn off and unplug unnecessary equipment (computers, appliances, etc.) to avoid damage by power surges when hydro is restored
- Gather the items from your emergency checklist - manual can opener, bottled water, canned food, battery operated flashlights, battery powered radio, etc.
You can find more information about what to do and how to prepare for a power outage on the Government of Canada’s Get Prepared Webpage.
We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. For more information, please contact our Operations Department Monday-Friday 7:00 am to 3:00 pm at (905) 895-2309 x 2. Customers can also submit their questions online 24/7 on our website by clicking on the following link. Contact Us | NT Power